Search Statements

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Statement from Bishop John M. D’Arcy

Statement from Bishop John M. D’Arcy 

January 1, 2013 

Since retirement, I come home to Boston to celebrate Christmas Mass with my family and visit with them. Shortly after this Christmas, I began to feel unwell. After consulting my doctor’s office in Fort Wayne, on Sunday, December 30, I went to Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital in Brighton, Massachusetts, where I grew up and the place of my family home.

After extensive tests, they found cancer in the lung and the brain. They kept me overnight – my first night in a hospital since I was born in that same hospital 80 years ago; so, I am ahead of the game thanks to the Good Lord.

I will return to the hospital for more tests and in a few days begin radiation, but I will be able to stay at my family home in Brighton where we all grew up with our dear parents. It is my hope in two to three weeks to return to the Diocese of Fort Wayne – South Bend and the people I have loved and served for over 1/4 century. My doctors there will pick up on my medical care and probably some chemotherapy.

It is my hope to keep all the commitments I have made to the parish missions and Confirmations. Of course, that will depend on the advice of my doctors.

I would like to request the prayers of all the people of the diocese -- priests, seminarians, religious and laity. I trust in the goodness of God and Mary his mother. As I have told so many people over the years, it is a time for trust in His goodness and love. And your prayers will help me to do that.

Most Reverend John M. D’Arcy

Bishop Emeritus

Diocese of Fort Wayne – South Bend